Thursday, October 29, 2009

Missing pieces

I don’t know a great deal about the Rebuli side of the family. In fact, I know very little about my grandfather – my dad’s father. This saddens me and to date all efforts I have made to find out more has led to very little new information. I am sorry that I didn’t ask my dad more questions when I had the chance but the truth is, I don’t think he could have added a great deal extra considering he was only a very small child of 3 years when my grandfather left to start a new life for his family in Australia. And then, dad was only 7 years old when he himself left with my grandmother, his sister Dorina (8 years old) and brother Elvio (6 years old) to finally meet up with his father. Another brother – Guido – would be born in Adelaide, Australia in 1938. The memories of Bigolino – a small town in the Veneto foothills situated next to the River Piave and famous for the sparkling white wine called Prosecco – would have been very foggy indeed.

L-R: My Zia Dorina, Zio Elvio, Nonna, and my dad (Albino but known as Vito).  Circa 1928
Perhaps I should have asked more questions of my grandmother but she passed away in 1977 when I was only 12 years old and too young to really understand the significance of knowing one’s family history. I am so sorry that I know so little of my grandfather, Bruno Rebuli, his parents and family. But I will document the little that I do know as I continue my search and perhaps something more will come to light in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment