Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Coming to Australia

My father, Vito (Albino) Rebuli, was 7 years old when he left Italy with his mother, Giovanna, and sister Dorina, aged 8, and brother Elvio, aged 6, on the "Remo" to meet up with his father, Bruno, who was waiting for them on the other side of the world in Adelaide, Australia.  My grandfather, Bruno, had arrived on the 25th of July, 1927, on the ship "Carignano".  The rest of the family arrived on the 1st of December, 1931.  The life ahead of them in their new home was to be far from an easy one with a depression and World War 2 facing them.
My dad (far right, holding the hoop), with his mother, sister Dorina and brother Elvio, in Bigolino, Italy, before they left to reunite with my grandfather in Adelaide, Australia.  Circa 1929
My parents visiting the Monte Grappa War Memorial,
Veneto, Italy, in 1962
My dad returned to Italy for a holiday in 1962 where he met my mother, Antonietta Danieli, and they married in November of that year.  Together, they arrived in Adelaide, Australia, on the 30th of November, 1962 to be greeted by a very hot day.  The intention was that they would return to Italy to live in the not-to-distant future.  They did return in 1968 but only stayed for one year after my dad's strong sense of responsibility to his family in Australia got too much for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment