Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A time to return

My last entry to this blog was dated 2010.  It is incredible how quickly time goes by.  Looking back on the past nine years I can't help thinking that not a lot has changed.  But at the same time, many things are also different.

I won't make excuses for not adding to this blog for such a long time but instead explain that the main reason was the fact that I really didn't have that much to add.  I have also been unwell for a big part of that time.  I underwent a minor surgical procedure to remove a parathyroid adenoma in December of last year and I have every hope that it is nothing but improvement from here.

As for not having much to add.  That really hasn't changed a great deal.  However, I do have a little more than when I first started this blog in 2009.  This is partly due to Madeleine Regan, who has been working on a project called "Veneto Market Gardeners 1927 - From the Veneto to Frogmore and Findon Roads 1920s to 1970s".  As part of this project, she returned to Italy last year and found documents relating to many families, including the Rossetto and Rebuli families.  All this has sparked a new excitement for me and I have since gone through my collection of old photographs.  Many of the older photographs are quite damaged and I have been dedicating time to restoring them.

L-R: My Zia Dorina, Nonna (Giovanna), Zio Elvio and my dad (Albino but known as Vito) in Bigolino, Italy.  Circa 1929

I have also arranged for new searches with the National Archives of Australia.  And I have recently added to Madeleine's website with a blog entry briefly discussing my family's return to Italy in 1968.

I look forward to expanding on all of this in further blog updates.  In the meantime, I keep hoping that more information will come to light.  Time will only tell.







No comments:

Post a Comment